This page describes my passion for representing clients, my prior military service, admissions, education, experience and professional associations.
I help my clients solve problems through a value based approach to avoid costly litigation
Simon is the managing attorney of Mountain States Energy Attorney & Advisors, PLLC d/b/a Tolbert Law Office, PLLC. Originally started as a natural resources boutique law firm, the firm has expanded to include related general areas of trust & estates, contracts, real property, and tort law. This approach allows the firm to bring innovative solutions to its clients facing a broader range of legal issues.
Simon brings a passion to helping his clients obtain a favorable outcome to their legal issues, but especially to obtain those results efficiently. His favorite axiom that he repeatedly reminds his clients is that “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure,” especially in regards to legal proceedings.
- University of Kansas School of Law, Juris Doctorate (2002 – 2005)
- Rhodes College, Bachelor of Arts, Political Science (1998 – 2002)
- Colorado Bar Association
- Wyoming Bar Association
- Texas Bar Association
- Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation
- American Assoc. of Petroleum Landmen
- Denver Association of Petroleum Landmen
- Denver Oil and Gas Title Lawyers Assoc.
Articles & Presentations
- “Reexamining the Right of First Refusal Clause in Oil and Gas Leases,” The Rocky Mountain Landman, Vol. 32, Issue 1, Summer 2014.
- “Mineral Reservations in Strangers to Title, an Examination of Approaches in Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, North Dakota, and Montana,” The Permian Basin Landman, Vol. 94, Issue 84, September 2012.
- Presentation: “The Intersection of Trust & Estates and Oil & Gas Law: Leasing of Trusts & Estates” Denver Association of Petroleum Landmen Monthly Luncheon, February 2018.
Proud Marine. Prior to moving to Colorado, Simon earned the rank as a Captain in the United States Marine Corps. Deployed to Al Anbar Province, Iraq in 2008, he served as a Logistics Officer in charge of a Company of Marines attached to 3rd Battalion 24th Marines. Honorably discharged in August 2011, Simon often reflects “every day I feel honored to have served with some of the bravest and most honorable men on the planet.”